Home is where one starts from. - T.S. Eliot
Celebrating 26 years of service in 2018, UNDER THE SUN provides the necessary resources for project design, planning and construction - from utilization of space to environmentally friendly products and options. The foundation of the business consists of word-of-mouth referrals and a repeat clientele spanning several decades. In 2015, UNDER THE SUN completed its first, third-party verified Zero Energy Home, continuing its mission and dedication to providing an energy saving alternative to traditionally built homes. Plans to build small footprint Zero Energy homes in NY and VT continue to be developed. Existing home remodeling/renovation projects are designed and completed to the highest energy standards possible, utilizing best practices and the highest quality products available.
Better Buildings by Design 2018
The two-day conference, sponsored by Efficiency Vermont on February 7 & 8, 2018, " . . . the region's premier design and construction conference, which features interactive learning about building durability, efficiency, and value for both residential and commercial projects." Stay tuned for more information . . .
Efficiency Revolution 2017
Hosted by New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) on April 11, 2017, the event included the newest in technologies, products and information for high-performance buildings. Under the Sun attended the Passive House seminar. The Passive House standard improves on Zero Energy home performance by improving air tightness to a maximum of .60 ACH 50, increasing insulation, and utilizing passive solar for heat gain in the winter months. Under the Sun's Zero Energy Cottage Plus achieved .98 ACH 50.
Ongoing New York State Residential Builder Energy Code Training 2016
Sponsored by the New York State Builder's Association (NYSBA) and the Capital Region Builders & Remodelers Association (CRBRA), Under the Sun completed new 2015 New York State Residential Code training on October 19, 2016.
- Cauldwell, Rex (2006). Plumbing. Newtown, CT: The Taunton Press, Inc.
- Cauldwell, Rex (2014). Wiring a House. Newtown, CT: The Taunton Press, Inc.
- Chiras, D. (2002). The solar house – Passive heating and cooling. White River Junction, VT: Chelsea Green Publishing Company
- Egg, J. & Howard, B.C. (2011). Geothermal HVAC – Green heating and cooling. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- Ferguson, M. (2012). Drywall. Newtown, CT: The Taunton Press, Inc.
- Holladay, Martin (2017). Musings of an energy nerd - Toward an energy-efficient home. Newtown, CT: The Taunton Press, Inc.
- Johnston, D. & Gibson, S. (2010). Toward a zero energy home – A complete guide to energy self-sufficiency at home. Newtown, CT: The Taunton Press, Inc.
- Johnston, D. & Gibson, S. (2008). Green from the ground up – Sustainable, healthy, and energy-efficient home construction. Newtown, CT: The Taunton Press, Inc.
- Johnston, D. & Master, K. (2004). Green remodeling – Changing the world one room at a time. Gabriola Island, BC: New Society Publishers
- Mazria, E. (1979). The passive solar energy book – Expanded professional edition. Emmaus, PA: Rodale Press
- Moffit, A. & Schiler, M. (1994). Energy-efficient and environmental landscaping. South Newfane, VT: Appropriate Solutions Press
- Sillah, A., Editor (2011). Green Building – Project planning and cost estimating. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Wilson, A. (2008). Green building products – The GreenSpec® guide to residential building materials. Brattleboro, VT: BuildingGreen; Gabriola Island, BC: New Society Publishers
- Wilson, A. (2006). Your green home – A guide to planning a healthy, environmentally friendly new home. Gabriola Island, BC: New Society Publishers